Each year, ELLE Magazine holds a dinner celebrating women of power in Washington, D.C. On March 22, 2017, ELLE’s 7th annual dinner was held at Fiola Mare in Georgetown. Produced in conjunction with Bottega Veneta, the Italian design house, the “Power List” event was hosted by ELLE Editor-in-Chief Roberta “Robbie” Myers.
This event is part of ELLE’s celebration of March as Women’s History Month. The list was published in the April 2017 issue of ELLE, which hit newsstands on March 22. The cover, which features actor Anne Hathaway in a gorgeous pink Dolce & Gabbana dress, bears the header, “Bring It! 10 Women in D.C. Unveil Their Plans to Save the World.”
“Men and women always ask me, ‘Why does a fashion magazine cover politics?’” Robbie Myers remarked. “And I say, because the definition of fashion is very simply, ‘that which is current.’” ELLE is the world’s largest fashion magazine/network, with 33 websites and 43 international editions sold in 60 countries.
Honorees and guests included those with political power, journalists and tv correspondents as well as women from the fashion world. They mingled in stylish couture at the waterfront Mediterranean-style seafood restaurant.
The 10 honorees for 2017 are:
• Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Republican, Florida
• Debra L. Lee, Chair and CEO of BET Networks
• Jacqueline Days Serwer, the Chief Curator of the National Museum of African American History and Culture
• Judy Woodruff, PBS Newshour Anchor and Managing Editor
• Katy Tur, NBC News Correspondent
• Meighan Stone, the founding president of the Malala Fund
• Rhea Suh, the president of the National Resources Defense Council
• Sarah Chamberlain, President and CEO of the Republican-Main Street Partnership
• Senator Lisa Murkowski, Independent, Alaska
• Senator Patty Murray, Democrat, Washington
Dinner was prepared by Chef Brinn Sinnott. The 3-course dinner included Norwegian cod. Maria Trabocchi, one of the co-owners of the Gruppo FT Restaurants chain that includes Fiola Mare, was in attendance. Trabocchi herself knows a few things about politics, as she is the daughter of Spanish diplomats.
More powerful women from D.C. and beyond showed up at Fiola Mare to honor the ten nominees. The 50+ guests who attended the event included CEO of D&P Creative Strategies Catherine Pino, UAE Ambassador to the United States, Yousef al Otaiba, NBC Washington anchor Eun Yang, and Washington Business Report creator/former anchor/American University faculty member Rebecca Cooper Dupin. Male attendees included CBS News Correspondent Tony Dokoupil and Peter Selfridge.
In the February 2017 issue of ELLE, released in January, ELLE published its list of the 10 most powerful women in television. That list included Ava Duvernay, Samantha Bee, Shonda Rimes, and Kerry Washington. ELLE’s Women in Tech list for 2017 will be published in May.Read More